One Student Killed in North Carolina School Shooting
- By Matt Jones
- September 02, 2021
Update: Sept. 2, 2021
The student who was injured in the active shooter incident at Mount Tabor High School in Winston-Salem, N.C., died on Wednesday, according to news reports. He has been identified as William Chavis Raynard Miller Jr., according to the sheriff’s office. The suspect in the shooting has since been taken into custody.
“One student was located with a gunshot wound,” said Winston-Salem Police Department Chief Catrina Thompson at a news conference. “Medical responders began life-saving measures, and the injured student was transported to Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center, where he succumbed to his injuries.”
Forsyth County public affairs officer Christina Howell said that the suspect is believed to be a fellow student of the victim. Authorities say that the suspect was taken into custody without incident but have not yet provided any details regarding his or her background, a motive or the circumstances surrounding the incident.
Original Story: Sept. 1, 2021
A student was injured on Wed., Sept. 1, in a shooting at a high school in Winston-Salem, N.C. Authorities are “actively seeking the suspect” in the incident at Mount Tabor High School. Authorities have not yet identified the injured student, who was transported to an area hospital for treatment. Forsyth County spokesperson Christina Howell said no other students were injured in the incident.
The Forsyth County Sheriff’s Office tweeted that the school was placed on lockdown. “Many high schools in the area are also on lockdown out of an abundance of caution. There has not been another incident, but it is out of an abundance of caution,” said Howell.
CNN affiliate WXII reports that the shooting was reported shortly after noon local time. Details surrounding the incident itself were not immediately available. Following the incident, students were transported to a nearby grocery store for reunification with their parents. The sheriff’s office had previously provided a different reunification site of a local YMCA.
A student reports that the school went into lockdown following an announcement on the intercom. Police entered with rifles about 10 minutes later, telling students to put their hands up. The students were escorted to another location in the school; police told students that they could bring their cell phones but had to leave their bags behind.
North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper commented that the incident is the state’s second school shooting within the week. “Our prayers are with the victims, their families and all the students of Mt. Tabor high School in Winston-Salem,” he tweeted. “We must work to ensure the safety of students and educators, quickly apprehend the shooter and keep guns off school grounds.”